Sunday, July 10, 2011

July 10th, 2011

July 10th, 2011


The last few days have been pretty fun and crazy. As my time starts winding down here, I am trying to participate in fun things while I can. Friday I worked on the fence more and put up three more rows. Bryan was in Kampala all day so I thought it would be difficult handling all the barb wire by myself. Turns out it wasn’t too bad. You find different ways of doing it when you don’t have that extra set of hands. I think it worked out. It was a relatively chill night with watching movies and stuff. Nuttin too wild.

Yesterday we went to the pool in Jinja again to continue celebrating Julie’s birthday. She has been apart of/ involved with Musana since the beginning. She just turned 18 and Ugandans can start drinking then so after the pool we all went out to a club in Jinja. Bryan and I weren’t expecting to go out with everyone so we didn’t have any of our stuff. It was still semi early when Andrea and Leiha convinced us to come out with everyone. We took a taxi all the way back to Iganga, showered and cleaned up, got Brenda to come with us, and then took a taxi back to Jinja. I don’t think I will miss the taxi rides here. Like, at all. It ended up being really worth it though. We all pre-gamed and stuff at this guy Angelo’s house. He is a pretty well known artist in Jinja and is actually really talented. Some of his paintings are mind blowing, though he sells them at American prices so I wasn’t about to pay 300,000 for one. Definitely a tourist price....so screw that. I was able to pick up one of his shirts that he puts a pretty cool painted graphic on. It wasn’t even extra to customize it a bit, which was cool. Anyway, Angelo has a sweet house, especially by Ugandan standards. There were a ton of other white people there too so that was different to see. When 12:30 rolled around we all decided it was time to hit the club. I didn’t know how packed it usually got, but I felt pretty crammed in there. People that have been there said it was a busy night. Makes sense, because it is high traffic season here in Jinja. Tourism is at a peak. We all had a blast despite some creepy things that went down, and some dude trying to jack my wallet, while it was still in my front pocket. He had balls I’ll give em that, but kinda wanted to kill him after that. It was just another reminder that you gotta be street smart while you’re here. Which seems important any time you travel.

Sleeping at someone else’s pad is never a good night’s sleep, especially when it’s hot as balls and there isn’t a mosquito net over the couch you’re sleepin on. All part of the experience right? Luckily today is Sunday and so we can all relax, at least, that’s what I be doin for awhile. I guess you can say here is like anywhere else, if you work hard you can play hard. I hope my right eye figures its stuff out, cus it has been hurting like no one’s business lately. It’s a good day to only put on contact in. Figure you only need to see half the world anyway when you’re restin ha. Haven’t seen the kids in a day or so. It’ll be nice kickin it with em for a bit later this afternoon. Gotta take in all the children love I can get before it’s time to catch another plane....

No comments:

Post a Comment