Sunday, July 3, 2011

July 2nd, 2011

July 2nd, 2011


Yesterday was the boys first soccer match and man were they lookin good in their cleats and new uniforms. Turns out, the other team decided not to show up so we got the forfeit win and a couple goals that counted for us. A huge rainstorm came in while we were all waiting for the other team so we had to run to find shelter. I am down with being out in the rain but I have learned here that it is always better to find shelter. I guess a group of like 18 people ended up getting killed because of lightning. That to me is a ton! Apparently whenever there is a big storm like that is is almost guaranteed that someone died because they got struck by lightning. The kids at Musana are actually taught lightning evasion techniques, almost like how kids in California do earthquake drills, or like us doing fire drills. Idk how much I will be going out into a big storm here now. Death by lightning doesn’t sound too pleasant. I am glad our team still ended up with the win, they were all celebrating despite not having to play for it.

Sittin here at night, I see, dayum we live the good life. Today was a day that doesn’t come around too often. It was just Bryan and I at Musana today with the kids. Everyone else went to some village that lets people see some true African culture. It was peaceful with just us and the kids though. Everyone was just hangin out and havin fun. I ate like a true African for the first time. There were no utensils so we got to eat rice and meat with our hands. I now understand why the kids get so messy while eating - using your hands makes staying clean difficult. Towards the evening we played this game called Pickel. Two people stand across from each and a big groups stands in between them. The people on the end have a hackie sac that they try and throw at the people in the middle. The last one standing wins. So it’s like an intense game of dodgeball. Turns out, weekends are pretty fun. Working for the kids is a good feeling, but sometimes you just need to kick it with all of em to remind you of why you are doing the work. If that makes sense.

This little girl, Nahia, and I got in like an hour tickle war today and it was a blast. She made me laugh so hard with this ridiculous game where I always won and she always came back for more. I wish I could of recorded all her laughing because it seriously sounded like it belonged to a looney toon character. Laughter is really a good medicine. If you haven’t laughed in awhile, I would highly suggest it. It makes everything else float away, and the world seems ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment