Saturday, July 16, 2011

July 12th, 2011

July 12th, 2011


Back at it today, worked on some more barb wire and finished another roll so that was cool. The weather here is so perfect, at least most days, today being one of those. It started off being super hot and so we got some sun while workin on the fence. It then turned to a nice drizzle with some clouds lingering overhead as the rain fell lightly. By afternoon it turned back to being sunny and pleasant. I hope Colorado has some good weather for the remainder of the summer. It is hard not to think about what life will be like when this trip is over. There are so many things to share and so many things you want to tell people. It’ll be hard to fully capture everything about this place.

I was worried about my eye hurting for another day, but when I put in the contact this morning it’s like nothing was bothering it at all. Refreshed and ready to play with all the kids, the day as a whole turned out to be much better. I notice more now that how you feel really affects your attitude of being in a different country. While things are going wrong, there is nothing more you want than to be back home getting the issue fixed with expert technology and comforting food. Trust me, there are some foods you do miss, despite the awesome stuff here. An awesome sub sandwich with fresh lettuce and tomato and olives and beautiful mayonnaise and mustard would be killer right now. Also a giant burrito with some juicy steak, soft rice, spicy salsa, guacamole and chewy tortillas wrapped around it. I certainly have gotten used to the posho and beans though. Still manage to finish the entire plate every time. You definitely gotta power through the rocks and random dirt taste sometimes. When I travel to other places, I think I will be bringing gallons of Sri Rotcha, cus there is only a little bit left in my last bottle, and I brought 3. Of course, the other two were shared with a bunch of people, so they went kinda fast. You always should keep that reserve bottle for yourself though. Ever so essential.

A bunch of the kids were practicing for the choir competition that is on friday so I guess most of the other kids that weren’t practicing just got to hang out. The little little kids had to still go learn, but really we all know learning stuff at that age is way fun. Singing songs about how you are my sunshine is the best. Since everyone was out of class a bunch we just hung out with them after the morning session of work. I happened to stroll into the kitchen today and got to see the food is made for the 90 + kids that eat there for lunch. There is around 74 children who live at Musana so dinner isn’t as hectic, but not by much. Grandma Sophia is the head chef and boy does she work hard. I am still extremely impressed with all the tough work she does at her age. Being old in Uganda already warrants respect and praise. Being old and working you ass off for a bunch of children is like top notch awesomeness! Stirring the giant pot of posho really wares you out. There are also beans to be made and rice to be sorted, which is extremely tedious. The wood splitting also takes a long time and a lot of effort. The ladies that are laboring over the food all day certainly have my respect. They not only work hard, but are continuously happy, greeting us with a smile every day.

It all makes me think, what’s not to be happy about...??? No matter who you are or where you are at.......there is something to be happy and thankful for, no matter how small. I know the days will continue on, their ups and downs coming in waves we can’t control....it’s all part of discovery

No comments:

Post a Comment